Sunday, February 3, 2013

Blog Post #3

When i watched the videos about peer editing, I didn't know there was such an efficient way to edit people's work. I learned that there are three steps you follow to efficiently edit someones work: compliments,suggestions, and corrections. I always thought that it was just marking punctuation errors with red ink. These videos and slideshows helped me realize that peer editing is so much more than that. By following these three simple steps, you can peer edit someones work without dealing with things like bias and favoritism. That can play a big part in what you say while peer editing if you don't follow these steps.

The video "Writing Peer Review Top 10 mistakes" showed me that you have to be as neutral as possible while you're editing someone else's work. It showed me that you cant be too critical, but you can't be too relaxed either. You have to have a happy medium while you're peer editing. Another thing that this video showed me is that you have to actually care about peer editing if you want to do it right. You have to actually read what you're looking at, or else you won't be able to give suggestions.

I decided to comment on my person's blog out in the open, on the blog. It lets everyone know what's been pointed out and that if I missed something, they can point it out. It helps keep peer editing more efficient, so the person who wrote the blog doesn't hear the same thing over and over.

The Mountbatten is an incredible machine. It is really awesome how far technology has come to where people that are hearing impaired and visually impaired can learn right along with the other students. If I ever had the chance I would learn how to use one of these machines because I'm sure that in my career I will run across hearing or visually impaired kids. So it would be a very useful resource in teaching those kids.

The spectrum of education that deals with hearing and visually impaired people fascinates me. It's amazing how far we've come technologically so that we can help these kids learn with equal opportunities. Those kids deserve as many opportunities as the kids without impairments. There are many flaws in the education system, but the fact we have technologies that can help these kids learn, says a lot about how we are with special education.

I think that Ms. Davis and Dr. Strange are very similar in the way they teach. They both make their students learn on their own, rather than stand in the front of the class and lecture. The way these classrooms are run really builds a lot of character and teaches us to take initiative and that learning on our own is important because that's how reality works. These kind of classrooms are the future of education. It's inevitable. Were advancing too fast in technology to keep the education system the same way it's been the past century.

3 comments:

  1. Hi Jared. Daphney here!! How are you?! Your blog is an interesting read. I can really agree with you about the peer editing. I didn't think it was such a big deal until I got in this class. I am in Special Education and I thought the Mountabatten Device was so cool, especially for those of us who don't really have the funds to take a class on braille.

    I was reading your last paragraph and I noticed something. We made the same comparison between Mrs. Davis and Dr. Strange. I guess both of them are really an example of teaching leading students to become more technologically savy.

    Just some suggestions on your blog. I would start placing headers in bold letters at the beginning of each subject change so that it doesn't all run together like this. Other than that one thing, you and I are both on the same page dude!

    Great job and keep it up!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Jared!! One thing I think you missed about peer editing is to not only keep it neutral, but to positively critique the person that you are peer editing for. Great observations with the special education machines and technology.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "... that you cant be too critical,..." can't not cant

    "... you have to actually care about peer editing if you want to do it right." Thi probably applies to everything!

    Thoughtful. Interesting.

    ReplyDelete